Newcastle United scored early and got a second-half winner to defeat West Brom at St. James’ Park.
Returning to Premier League action, Newcastle United came away with a 2-1 win at home over West Brom. Miguel Almiron scored the fastest goal in the Premier League this season and Dwight Gayle broke a second-half stalemate in his season debut.
It certainly didn’t take long for Newcastle United to get on the board vs. the Baggies. Callum Wilson got the ball to Joelinton, who sliced a perfect pass across the box to Almiron. The Paraguayan star buried his chance before 20 seconds had elapsed in the match.
Letting the foot off the gas
After the early goal, Newcastle had some quality chances to make it 2-0, but the attempts were either too cheeky or lacked quality and that allowed West Brom to stick around. With momentum entering the break, Darnell Furlong leveled things with a sublime finish in front of a lackadaisical defensive effort from Jamal Lewis.
Subbing on for his first appearance of the season, Dwight Gayle was able to get on the end of a Jacob Murphy cross and his header was picture-perfect. His addition to the match seemed to turn the momentum back to Newcastle and he was a worthy match-winner on the day.
- Neither fullback, Jamal Lewis and Emil Krafth, could deliver quality crosses into the area. There were positive attacking moments that ended with a poor ball in from out wide.
- Jacob Murphy, who replaced Krafth at right-back, provided a perfect cross in his first attempt and assisted on Gayle’s goal.
- Steve Bruce, who is worthy of the criticism he receives, did well with his substitutes today. Great decision to replace both fullbacks and both subs (Gayle and Murphy) combined for the match-winner.
- We had a DeAndre Yedlin spotting today! The American speedster made his first EPL appearance of the season to help close the match out.
- Newcastle were thin at central defense today and Isaac Hayden played extremely well there without Jamaal Lascelles, Federico Fernandez, or Fabian Schar. Ciaran Clark was steady next to him, too.
- The all-time series is officially level now between Newcastle and West Brom.
Quick turnaround for Newcastle United as they will face Leeds United midweek. Marcelo Bielsa’s side lost to West Ham United yesterday.