Another match, another loss for Newcastle United.
In a midweek match for Newcastle United, the club continued its losing ways, dropping a 1-0 result to Everton. Wayne Rooney scored the lone goal in the 27th minute.
Mikel Merino: His powerful shot rocked the post, but couldn’t deflect in. The midfielder was relatively effective in an otherwise poor offensive performance for Newcastle United.
Matt Ritchie: He was very active per usual and also had a chance go off the woodwork.
Jamaal Lascelles: The captain returned and stabilized a recently shaky defense.
Karl Darlow: During his stint as the first choice keeper last season, Darlow made a handful of unbelievable errors. Today, when he couldn’t handle an easy shot or deflect away the rebound, it was an all too familiar sight. Simply put, he cost Newcastle points.
Jonjo Shelvey: The temperamental midfielder capped off a poor match with a late red card. He’ll be banned for two matches due to his blunder.
Mohamed Diame: Another performance where he was barely noticeable on the pitch. Unfortunately, when he had a moment to win the match, he couldn’t deflect in a Florian Lejeune header.
More from Newcastle Toons
- AC Milan predicted lineup vs Newcastle United – UEFA Champion League 2023/24
- “What a player” Arsenal and Real Madrid stars hype up this Newcastle ace
- Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford: 3 Catalyst Players Who Were Key To The Result
- Newcastle United 1-0 Brentford: 3 things Eddie Howe learned from the match
- Newcastle player ratings vs Brentford: Harvey Barnes impresses
-It seems like Newcastle United come up with new ways to lose every single match.
– While I applaud Ritchie’s effort, he needs to be more clinical with his finishing. It’s great to put shots on frame, but if you’re never scoring the chances, it doesn’t help the club much.
-Shelvey’s mistake is mindnumbing. I will have another article in the coming days on his form.
-Rafa must go back to Rob Elliot. Darlow’s error is unacceptable at most levels of soccer, especially in the Premier League. He has a history of howlers.
– Christian Atsu and Lascelles returning was positive. It will be nice to have Paul Dummett back soon as well.
-Speaking of fullbacks, it was a solid match for Javier Manquillo and DeAndre Yedlin. They did a good job controlling Everton’s attack.
Newcastle United will try to bounce back on Saturday against a team they can’t seem to beat. The Magpies will visit Arsenal this weekend and they’ve struggled mightily in recent years against the Gunners. With a relegation spot closing in, Newcastle needs a result this weekend.