Newcastle United took Arsenal into extra time, but the Gunners found two goals to end the Magpies’ FA Cup journey.
In a largely dull match, Newcastle United managed to keep things scoreless and get the better of the chances during a scoreless 90 minutes vs. Arsenal in the FA Cup third round. But, they wasted their opportunities and couldn’t hold on in the additional time that followed.
Emile Smith Rowe scored the first goal and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang added a second in the second half of extra time to advance the Gunners past Newcastle.
Close Calls from Carroll
The best chances of regular time both fell to Andy Carroll. He found himself open at the far post on the end of a shot/pass from Jeff Hendrick, but his redirection went wide of the goal. Then in the final minutes, his shot was saved by Bernd Leno. Both plays were frustrating from the Newcastle perspective as the match was there for the taking and first-choice striker Callum Wilson likely buries one, if not both, of the chances.
- A heavy touch from Ciaran Clark led to Smith Rowe finding the game-winner and Isaac Hayden took a knock from Alexandre Lacazette on the assist. The second goal saw Aubameyang left too much space right in front of goal.
- Smith Rowe was actually shown a red card for a tackle on Sean Longstaff towards the end of regular time, but a VAR review correctly switched it to a yellow card.
- We got to see the debut of highly-regarded prospect, Elliot Anderson. He’s definitely shifty on the ball and was happy to get involved when the opportunity to do so was there.
- Martin Dubravka made his 2020-21 debut after a preseason foot injury and he was his usual self. He made a pair of big saves and a few easier ones in the performance.
- Jacob Murphy was a very positive performer off the bench today. Subbing in for Emil Krafth at right wing-back, he was able to get forward and provide some of the best deliveries of the match.
Newcastle United will have a quick turnaround as they face winless Sheffield United on Tuesday in Premier League play. The Blades won their FA Cup match today vs. Bristol Rovers.