Newcastle United pick up three points at home as they hand Everton a second consecutive defeat.
Everton sat second on the table as they entered today’s match vs. Newcastle United. But, it was a Callum Wilson double that allowed the Magpies to secure an upset win and three points. Dominic Calert-Lewin scored in stoppage time to ruin a potential clean sheet for Karl Darlow.
Wilson’s the Winner
This is why Newcastle United pursued Callum Wilson in the offseason. A proven striker in the EPL, Wilson converted a penalty kick in the second half and tapped in a ball from Ryan Fraser, which would prove to be the winning goal.
Avoiding (Reverse?) Deja Vu
Last season, Newcastle trailed 2-0 vs. Everton heading into stoppage time. Florian Lejeune would score twice to secure a stunning draw. With the Magpies up 2-0 today as the match went into six minutes of additional time, Dominic Calvert-Lewin’s goal made this one an uneasy affair for the final minutes. Karl Darlow made a big save on a cross/shot from distance and despite the nervy moments, Everton couldn’t find their equalizer.
- With the win, Newcastle United are up to 10th on the table as of this article.
- Huge and immediate impact from Ryan Fraser off the bench. With Everton pushing more forward, he was able to find some space and make some runs through the attacking half. Great assist on Wilson’s winner.
- Jacob Murphy did well again as the right wing-back for the Magpies and opposite him, Jamal Lewis’ lovely pass to Fraser ended up being a hockey assist on the second goal.
- Wilson’s quality up top is such a comfort after seasons of NUFC searching for a consistent striker.
- Miguel Almiron put in a hardworking shift for Newcastle. He was willing to get up and down the pitch, in attack or defense.
The clubs that beat Everton in back-to-back matches will meet as Southampton will host Newcastle United on Friday. At the moment, the Saints sit third on the EPL table and defeated Aston Villa today, 4-3.