Trailing twice in this match, Newcastle United finished with a 2-2 draw vs. West Ham United.
Newcastle United had to equalize twice, but they finished with a 2-2 draw against a capable West Ham United side. Miguel Almiron’s eighth goal of the season wiped out an early Hammers’ goal before Jonjo Shelvey leveled things almost immediately after their second goal.
Good Build-Up Goals
For both Newcastle United goals, it was a good sequence of plays rather than one massive solo effort. The first goal saw Allan Saint-Maximin play a ball to an overlapping Emil Krafth, and the right-back’s quick ball in found Almiron. The second equalizer featured Shelvey playing the ball to Dwight Gayle, who touched it a short distance back to Shelvey, who knocked it home.
A Howler from the Skipper
On the West Ham opening goal, Jamaal Lascelles positioned himself perfectly to clear the ball away. But, he didn’t. The ball slipped past him and right to Michail Antonio, who converted from close range.
The Striker Situation
While he wasn’t a gamechanger, Joelinton looks more confident playing as a winger than when he’s relied on as a solo striker. Opposite that, Gayle has stepped up as the go-to striker the last few matches, outside of the miss vs. City. He has good movement off the ball and combines well with other attacking players, showcased when he assisted on Shelvey’s goal.
- While the first goal was largely a mistake, the second goal was just the byproduct of a decent set-piece and good play from West Ham.
- David Moyes’ Hammers were the better side in the second half.
- It’s still a relief to watch Almiron play in the center of the attack after playing him out of his best position (on the wing) for so long.
- Krafth was good again today, including registering the opening assist.
- Javier Manquillo started again at left-back. An article on that in the coming days.
- In the midfield, Nabil Bentaleb stepped in well when Isaac Hayden went off. He’s continuing to prove he’s a quality option next to Shelvey.
On Wednesday, Newcastle United will face Manchester City for the second time in a few weeks, this time in the Premier League. City takes on So’ton later today after blitzing Liverpool 4-0 earlier this week.